Saturday, May 26, 2012

Soup and Sandwiches

On a Friday!
We've all got lots of different things on at the moment, so instead of postponing Soup and Sandwiches, we decided to have it on a Friday instead.
When I'm reading magazines, if I come across a good soup recipe I tear it out and add it to my recipe folder. The one we had last night was one of these. It came from NZ Gardener.



Kumara and Bacon soup with brie.
Ingredients
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic chopped
2 sticks celery
1/2 a leek diced
40g butter
4 medium kumara peeled and diced
750ml stock ( veg or chicken)
sea salt, pepper
slices of brie


Sweat onion and garlic, celery and leek in the butter until clear. Add Kumara and stock. Bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer until kumara is soft. Blend soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
 Heat to almost a boil. Top with brie and serve.


The sandwiches were Freedom Farms Streaky  bacon with baby rocket and mayo in a ciabatta bun.
This was all a raging success.










12 comments:

  1. Your table and room look so inviting, the soup sounds rather nice too, any idea what issue it was in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Sue, I'm sorry, I don't and since I ripped it out.... It would have been in the last year!

      Delete
  2. Oh Laura, thanks for the recipe for the weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delicious and looks so very cosy!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:22 am

    What is kamara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Kumara is very like Sweet potato, the ones we used had white flesh.

      Delete
  5. Sunday night is our soup night in the cooler months. I think I will use this recipe for something new. When I use sweet potatoes I usually add lentils or make a curried soup so this will be a little different. Thanks for sharing it.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday is our usual night as well :) great minds think alike! I love the idea of a curried lentil soup with kumara.

      Delete
  6. i think bacon sandwiches should make an appearance! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly what we had with this - it was scrumyyyyy!

      Delete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x